/ Gyn & Fertility Centre
Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) is a highly sophisticated scientific technique to test embryos for specific genetic or chromosomal abnormalities. It enables the selection of unaffected embryos prior to implantation and pregnancy.
You may wish to consider Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis if you are concerned about any of the following issues:
• risk of having a child with an inherited genetic condition
• either partner has a known family history of chromosome rearrangement
• previous chromosomal abnormality in a pregnancy
• advanced maternal age (usually to test for Down syndrome where the mother is over 38 years old)
• recurrent miscarriage
• repeatedembryo transfers without pregnancy
• if you would find it difficult to consider termination of an affected pregnancy
In PGD testing, one cellis removed from a day-3 embryo and tested for a specified condition, such as cystic fibrosis or Down’s syndrome. Only those embryos diagnosed as being unaffected or free of a specific disorder will be transferred in the IVF cycle, maximising the chance of a healthy baby.
We are able to test for a very large number of single gene disorders, including:
• Huntington’s disease
• Cystic fibrosis
• Duchenne muscular dystrophy